Thursday, November 29, 2012

Quick Hits

                                                                               
Baby croc

Some stories are short and sweet, these are some interesting moments to set the mood for the stories to come.


  • ·         Since we don’t have water at school students often come by my place to ask for water.
  • ·         I went riding in one of my counterpart’s car for about 20 minutes and I saw one of my students on the side of the road. My counterpart said that he lives here, it is about a 10 km walk one way to school for that student.
  • ·         I was bathing in the river with two teachers when someone yelled out “Crocodile!” in Rumanyo, the teachers translated as they were struggling to put their clothes back on and everyone sprinted away from the river. The crocodiles here are the infamous Nile Crocodiles, these monsters reach 6 meters in length when fully grown.   
  • ·         Was asked by a student to make him beats on my computer and to teach him how to rap like Lil Wayne and T.I.
  • ·         Hitchhiked into town in a minivan, ran out of gas about 40 km out of town and hitched another ride into town on the back of a pickup truck.
  • ·         Had both children and adults pull at the hair on my arm because they had never felt arm hair before.
  • ·         Played basketball on a concrete court next to a homestead of mud huts as the sun was setting. 
  • ·         Had a conversation with a person from across the river in Angola.
  • ·         The mom of one of my learners was attacked by a crocodile just a few hundred yards from where I usually bathe. I was told that the crocodile bit her butt off.
  • ·         We have three very large trees next to where all the teachers live. I was told that if you climb the tree, break off one of the branches and plant it on the ground it would grow and very quickly. I planted one right next to my house, hopefully it works!

No comments:

Post a Comment